MAGAZINES IRELAND WELCOMES EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT VOTE IN FAVOUR OF COPYRIGHT REFORM
Magazines Ireland, the association of Irish magazine media, joins with the European Magazine Media Association (EMMA) and Europe’s press publishers to applaud the historic adoption by the European Parliament of the copyright draft directive.
Magazines Ireland Chairman, Ciaran Casey commented, “This directive will promote fairness in the digital ecosystem by allowing magazine publishers to negotiate licence agreements and protect the unauthorised reproduction and distribution of our publications in the digital world”.
The creation of a neighbouring right for press publishers was adopted.
This new right will:
- help secure our independent media for the next generation
- help ensure journalists can benefit from a share of any revenue generated by the right
- modernise copyright with a proportionate approach that does not stifle digital innovation
- promote fairness in the digital ecosystem
- make copyright work on the web for news publishers and their readers
- allow consumers to continue to share links, create memes and use Wikipedia
- support genuine publishers and help them fulfil their role in a democratic society
- encourage innovation and publishing start-ups
The European parliament granted the rapporteur a mandate to start negotiating with the European Commission and the European Council. Press publishers urge EU institutions to adopt the final text before the end of this legislature.
Contact Grace Aungier, CEO, Magazines Ireland, 01 667 55 79